I’ve been listening to Cait Flanders Opting Out podcast She wrote two books one about not spending and the more recent The Adventures of Opting Out. The podcast is enjoyable as Cait is easy to listen to – no drama. She usually tapes it outside by water, wind and her seeing the occasionally animal or one week a proposal.
- Drama – don’t need or want. Maybe on the screen but that is about it.
- Negative people and/or conversation. Yes we need to debrief and that can get negative. But you know the people I mean. It is all negative. They are victims and nothing is their fault (or even partially).
- Events we are not interested in. We say yes because we feel we should. That wanting to be alone is not an excuse. It is. If not a special occasion we can say no. Our time and needs are important also.
- Book recommendations and books people give us. If we are not interested say so and don’t take the book. Or if you do, start it and it doesn’t catch your attention don’t bother finishing it. Yes, you heard that right you don’t have to finish a book you are not enjoying. Yep, it is okay you have permission to opt out of finishing it. Life is short there are a lot of books. Read one you want.
- Shopping for the sake of shopping. I’m doing Project 333 where I wear 33 items for three months. No shopping. It is to see what we have in our closets and what we really wear. It is okay to opt out of shopping with friends for the sake of shopping. Meet them for lunch later.
- Not answering the phone if we are exhausted and know that person is just calling to talk. Nothing major just talk (which is great) but not at our expense. I am taking a break from answering the phone in the evenings for a bit – leave a message. One friend said I had a phone phobia. Seriously. Creating boundaries is okay. You do not have to be at people’s demand 24/7.
- You decide what you want to opt out of. Maybe it is working full-time or too much over-time. Too many activities on your or family’s plate. Keeping up appearances. Have a look around and see what you can opt out of.
You can always start now!