I am a list person. One of my favorite things to do is grab a coffee, hopefully at a cool coffee shop, and make a list. For me it is getting what is in my head on paper. It is not only a reminder but also a focus for me. I can refer back to my list during the time frame I have allowed. Sometimes I do a weekend list. Usually it is a month list. That gives me enough time to have lazy days and not feel rushed. That said I do like to get a few things checked off the list during the first week. So having had years of making lists and enjoying my lists, I thought I’d offer some points on list making. For me this is what I consider when I write out my month list.
- What projects are ongoing. If I am doing a larger project i.e. writing a novel, then I break it down in word count for the week. If you are purging and organizing break it down into manageable chucks. This month I will clean out the entryway closet. Do NOT write down purge house! Break it down into items you can check off. That is what a to do list.
- I always put fun things on my list. Like meet friends for a Saturday afternoon on a patio. Have a few things to look forward to that are not a project in waiting.
- Are there any special events coming up this month? Write them down on the list. Send Sally’s birthday card before XX.
- There are always things I want to do but often forget about – now I write it down. These are little things like send a “just because card”, text friend/family members and see if that book is at the library.
- Upcoming appointments or book an appointment
- Seasonal items like switch out winter to summer clothes. Pick up plants for patio.
- Any research/skills I want to do – i.e. learn how to make better graphics on Canva
- I enjoy playing and trying new things. So I will usually have on my list check Pinterest for a seasonal craft.
- For me it is fun to have an evening or afternoon craft/project on my list. It is a sense of accomplishment and makes me sit and be mindful.
I always put fun things on. Like meeting friends or doing a craft. I feel if it is on my “to do” list I am giving myself permission. I mean its on the list it should be done!! Let me know if you do “to do” lists and what you put on them.
You can always start now!