I am reading the book Presence by Amy Cuddy. She talks about relinquishing power to listen. To stop talking, preaching and listen to understand. By listening and giving up power we are really gaining so much more. I wanted to share what we can gain when we let go of knowing, asserting and listening more.
- people trust you. Trust is a building block. So much more learning and sharing will take place when trust is involved.
- you acquire useful information. Just shut up and listen. Don’t be thinking about what you want to say, as right there you are not listening. Hence you are not taking in what that person is offering.
- you begin to see other people as individuals and maybe allies. You are knocking down those walls of “us versus them”.
- you develop solutions that other people are willing to accept and adopt. There is more by in when people feel they have had input and have been listened to.
- when people feel heard, they are more willing to listen. Listening and respecting people will get your message across when needed.
So take a step back. Listen to what other people have to say. Ask questions. Relinquish knowing it all or even half of it. Be open to a totally different take. Let someone shine. Be that person people want at the table. You know the one – the one that makes sure everyone is heard respectfully. I think we need more of these people now more than ever.
You can always start now !